Sweet and salty, this Bacon BBQ Sauce is sure to put a smile on your guests’ faces!
I love bacon. I’m sure by now my readers have figured that out. I love to find ways to incorporate bacon into as many dishes as possible.
This recipe is inspired by Ted Reader. Ted is a grilling legend, I love his recipes, products and his laid back approach to life. Plus the man has a fire engine with grills built into it. I mean seriously, that’s just too awesome for words.
Anyhow, I wanted to tweak the sauce a bit. I have to be careful with alcohol. On occasion I throw caution to the wind and make things like Bourbon Bacon Jam, but most days I tend to avoid alcohol like the plague. It makes my IBS go wacky so I only indulge every so often.
So this one is sans alcohol, but if you dig the booze in stuff like this go ahead and add it. More power to you. Add extra, more is always better with things like booze. Unless you’re me, then it’s bad news. Boo hiss.
Head out to that grill of yours, fire it up and slap some bacon in a cast iron skillet. Then make this BBQ sauce. Slather it on some chicken, and you’ve got a kick ass dinner. Trust me. Bacon makes everything better.
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
- 10 slices of bacon,diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 ounces of water
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chile pepper
- Dash of salt, and white pepper
- ½ cup ketchup
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat. In a cast iron skillet cook the bacon to desired crispness. I like mine just shy of crisp. Drain the bacon of excess fat by laying on a plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.
- Reserve about half the bacon fat, discard the rest. In the same pan toss in the onion and allow to cook until golden brown, keep stirring and moving them. Depending on your grill and heat this will take about 3 to 5 minutes. Toss the garlic in during the final stage, the last minute or so. It just needs to become fragrant which doesn't take long.
- Deglaze the skillet with the white wine vinegar and water.
- Add the applesauce, maple syrup, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce, and the spices. Stir until combined.
- Add the ketchup and bring to a boil by turning up the heat a bit. Now reduce to low heat (I slide my cast iron pan over to the side with indirect heat at this point, it's good to keep one side with direct heat, and one with indirect heat for stuff like this) and allow to simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a mason jar or serving dish. Or slather it on chicken.
- Serve with a big old bacon loving smile!
Smother you chicken in this stuff. Not even kidding. So good.
Now go get your bacon on, man. What are you waiting for.
Want more bacon….and really who doesn’t? Keep scrolling!
Charred Skillet Corn with Bacon, pictured above
Bourbon Bacon Jam, pictured above
Candied Maple Bacon, pictured above
Bacon Wrapped Italian Smoked Sausages, pictured above
Want more Bacon, check out my Bacon Cravings Pinterest Board for inspiration:
Follow Kim Beaulieu | Cravings of a Lunatic’s board Bacon Cravings on Pinterest.Stop by all the other Bacon Month participants and show them some bacon love!
Disclaimer: Post contains an Amazon affiliate link. I get a few gold doubloons if you order through my blog.
Now be confident and get your grill on!