This Mexican Street Corn is grilled over charcoal then slathered with creamy goodness, sprinkled with delicious cheese, and garnished with cilantro and limes.
Grilled Mexican Street Corn
This post is sponsored by Kingsford®. All opinions are my own. Thanks to all the companies, and readers, who help support Kiss My Smoke.
Any day is a good day to grill. Don’t wait for a special occasion to plan a summer BBQ. It’s summer, that’s enough of a reason to fire up your grill.
Not to mention, it’s freaking CORN ON THE COB SEASON. Seriously, as soon as corn season begins I start my quest to grill ALL the things. I can’t help myself.
I love summer. I grill all year round but summer is special. It’s that time of year where everyone is a little more laid back. Diets go to hell in a hand-basket during summer.
It’s all about sleeping in, staying up late, and just slacking off a little bit. The adulting skill I excel at during summer is grilling. All bets are off on everything else.
My family laughs at me all the time because I’m constantly inventing reasons to fire up the grill. Most of those reasons are legit but I’ll admit some are pretty ridiculous.
Reasons to Grill:
- It’s Tuesday. Tuesday is the best day to grill.
- The mailman dropped off the mail. Whoo hoo, fire up the grill.
- Someone other than me did the dishes. Let’s party by the grill.
- I got through the day without a nap. I rock. Let’s grill.
- My gas gauge wasn’t on empty. It’s a miracle. Time to grill some steak.
Honestly, I’ll come up with anything. A friend of mine grilled tomahawk steaks so I celebrated by making my own tomahawk steaks. Yes, I’ll freaking share the recipe. Simmer down.
Most days I fire up multiple grills depending on how many recipes I’m making. I have two grills on my deck and three on my patio. More to come because you can never have enough. Right?
My biggest challenge is making sure I have enough supplies. I swung by Walmart recently and grabbed some Kingsford® Match Light® Instant Light Charcoal briquettes. Have you tried them yet?
This was my first time using them. I used them in my kettle grill. I’ve heard some grilling friends talk about these briquettes so I wanted to give them a whirl. Trying new things is always fun.
It lights super fast and is ready very quickly. That would be a huge perk when you’re in hurry. Or if you don’t have a chimney starter. It would also be useful for camping.
I’ve used Kingsford charcoal for years. Not this particular type but others. I’ve always had great results with their products. It was fun to try a new type of charcoal.
Some things you should know about Kingsford® Match Light® Instant Light Charcoal:
- When you open the bag it has a slight odour. It does burn off after you start your fire and burn it for a bit.
- Do not use a chimney starter for this. In my humble opinion, it is not necessary and would burn too hot.
- As with any new product you should play around with it a little bit before using it for an event. Learn how it burns. Always good advice.
What I liked about Kingsford® Match Light® Instant Light Charcoal:
- It’s quick.
- It’s easy.
- It’s reasonably priced.
- I can grab it at Walmart which is where I shop for most grilling supplies. So it’s convenient.
- Walmart carries other Kingsford products so I can grab sauce and briquettes at the same day. Score!
Kingsford would like to invite you to submit your favorite non-holidays and/or best ‘adulting’ moments on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook to enter to win an instant barbecue kit.
Be sure to tag them so they see it. Social media buttons are below. You can tag me too if you like so I can see how your “adulting” plans are going this summer
Now run off to Walmart and pick up some Kingsford Match Light Instant Light Charcoal. You can get everything you need for your next grill session and SO much more.
I’m obsessed with the grilling section at our local Walmart. It’s jammed packed with everything I need to grill. They stock all kinds of grill tools and even planks. Worth the trip, big time!
Tag and Stalk Kingsford on social media:
Places to stalk Kiss My Smoke!
Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- 12 ears of corn husks pulled back and tied off (or shucked completely if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup Cotija feta cheese, or parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chili pepper or cayenne pepper plus more for serving
- Zest from 1 lime
- Juice from 1 lime
- Cilantro to taste
- Lime wedges or halves for serving
Preheat charcoal grill to high heat using two zone method. Even though this is cooked over direct heat I like having an indirect side to move things over if needed. Plus if you leave husks on it's useful for that reason too.
While the grill is preheating make your the cream mixture. In a medium size bowl combine Mexican crema or sour cream, mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of your choice of cheese (reserve other half for sprinkling over top), chili or cayenne pepper, zest and juice from 1 lime. Mix well. Set aside.
Place corn on the direct heat side of grill. Cook, turning occasionally until all sides are beautifully charred. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
Remove corn from grill and brush with sauce.
Sprinkle with extra cheese and extra ground ancho chili or cayenne pepper. Garnish with cilantro.
Squeeze extra lime over top, if desired.
Serve with a big old corn loving smile.
Seriously, fire up your grill IMMEDIATELY!!!
PIN THIS TO YOUR FAVOURITE GRILLING BOARD!!
What’s your favourite way to grill corn on the cob?
Now be confident and get your grill on!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kingsford®. The opinions and text are all mine.