Simple recipe to make garlic scape cream cheese to top on crostini for the grill.
It’s always handy to have appetizer recipes in your grilling arsenal. You need something to whip up quickly and easily if people stop by. And let’s face it, it’s summer so people stop by often.
I was lucky enough to receive some garlic scapes in my CSA delivery. So I whipped up as many recipes as I could. This was one of them.
Garlic scapes are not around for long, but if you still have some on hand you should totally make this recipe. If you don’t have garlic scapes you can substitute fresh garlic in this recipe.
You can cut the garlic scapes up as finely as you like, or leave them in bigger chunks if that’s your style. Whatever works for you, and suits your taste buds.
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
- 8 ounces of cream cheese (you can substitute ricotta if you like)
- ¼ cup finely diced garlic scapes (you can substitute fresh garlic or onion)
- 1 teaspoon sweet basil, chopped as finely as possible
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 baguette
- 2 to 4 small tomatoes, sliced thinly (you can substitute cherry tomatoes if you like)
- Preheat the grill to a low heat.
- Slice baguette thinly.
- Chop the garlic scapes and basil by hand, or use a food processor.
- Toss the cream cheese in a mixer or food processor, toss in garlic scapes and basil, pulse first, then mix until combined.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the bread slices. Place each one on a rimmed cookie sheet. You could also use a pizza or grilling stone for this recipe
- Top with tomatoes.
- Place the cookie sheet on the grill, place the lid down and allow to cook for about 2 to 4 minutes. You just want to toast the bread, and slightly melt the cheese.
- Alternately you could grill the bread first then top after. Personally I like the cheese a bit melted.
- Remove from grill and plate.
- Serve immediately.
- Place the cookie sheet on
Simple and gorgeous, plus they taste out of this world. Your guests will love you for this one.
I really hope you still have some garlic scapes on hand. If not you can substitute garlic or onions for this. But if you have garlic scapes, use them. For this. Now.
Happy grilling season. Now get off your duffs and head outside. That’s where the grills are.
Now be confident and get your grill on!