Asparagus grilled to perfection, then smothered in shallots caramelized in brown butter. All done on the grill.
Some recipes are so good you almost don’t want to share them. This is one of those recipes.
However I adore y’all so I decided to share my secret recipe for asparagus. It has a super secret ingredient.
Want to know what it is?
Butter. Lots and lots of butter. Then just for a good measure, a little more butter.
Don’t fear the butter. Butter is amazing on asparagus. Brown butter is even better.
So for better butter, brown your butter, it will taste so much better.
Okay, enough silliness. Go brown some butter. With shallots. Then toss some asparagus in it. Then invite me over.
I’d suggest a double batch. Okay, okay, that’s just not right.
A triple batch with triple the butter would be better.
Other Kick Ass Grilling Recipes:
- Grilled Spicy Cauliflower Steaks
- Grilled Brick Chicken
- Grilled Steak Bites
- Grilled Rib Steaks with Chimichurri Sauce
- Easy Grilled Honey Garlic Ribs
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
Grilled Asparagus in Brown Butter and Shallots
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat. Once you're ready to grill turn it down slightly to a medium-low heat.
- Place the butter in a cast iron skillet with the shallots. Place on the bottom grill rack. Allow to cook for about 8 to 12 minutes, depending on your grill. Keep an eye on it. You want the butter to start to brown beautifully, without starting to burn. Keep moving the shallots around in it, they will start to crisp up as the butter browns. The taste is amazing. Warning you now.
- Snap the asparagus so you get rid of the woody ends. Rinse, and dry them. Place them on the grill, allow them to cook for about 4 to 6 minutes on each side. Flip over when they start to char a little on the ends.
- Once the butter is almost amber, and the asparagus is just starting to char a bit, take tongs and toss the asparagus in the cast iron pan with the butter. Move them around until the asparagus is coated with butter and shallots.
- Carefully (that pan is freaking hot, so use gloves!) remove the pan from the grill and transfer the asparagus to a serving dish.
- You can hit the asparagus with lemon and/or salt if you like. Totally optional. A splash of olive oil is nice too. Adds a bit more flavour.
- Serve with a big old addicted to asparagus in brown butter smile!
This is something I make a lot. Whenever I see gorgeous asparagus I get a craving for this recipe. It’s easy to make and the taste is stellar.
Don’t sweat about the butter. We use it a little more often in summer. I also use it on potatoes. It keeps the food from sticking to the pan, it adds flavour, and, well, I just like butter for crying out loud.
Plus it balances out all the healthy asparagus right.
Make sure you try this out. You will thank me. And remember when browning butter the key is to keep an eye on it. You don’t want the pan scorching or you will burn it. You also want to be careful not to splatter it and get flare ups.
Want more grill recipes from Kiss My Smoke, check me out on Pinterest:
Want more Side Dish Recipes from Kiss My Smoke, check these out:
Enjoy the warm weather while we have it. If you can find some asparagus I cannot recommend this recipe enough. It’s a family favourite.
Now be confident and get your grill on!