Easy to make, addictive to munch on. You can do this on your outdoor grill, or use your indoor if needed. This Grilled Guacamole is perfect for game day!
Welcome to Day #1 of Appetizer Week, a multi-blogger event co-hosted by Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic and Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker. With the big football game coming up, we wanted to make sure you had plenty of ideas for your game day spread. Each day we will be dishing up a different set of appetizers. We hope you enjoy this fabulous group of recipes. Tune in each day starting with Monday, January 20 and ending on Saturday, January 25. Lots of great prizes will be up for grabs so you do not want to miss one single day. Follow #AppetizerWeek on Twitter to keep up to date with all our amazing recipes and giveaways!
So I need to give full disclosure here. I hate football. I’ve never been much of a fan. However, I used to love playing touch football on weekends. I would get totally carried away. One time I forgot it was touch and tackled the heck out of one of my besties. I don’t think she was very happy with me. I got really overzealous and think I scared the laid back players. Apparently calm Kim turns into spastic and violent Kim when sports are involved.
I’ve always been a tomboy. I grew up with two older brothers so I know how to play most sports. We were really rough and tumble kind of kids growing up. So it’s surprising I don’t care for watching sports on TV. It’s a weird quirk I suppose. But hand me a basketball and I’m going to have to wipe the floor with you a little bit. It’s just how I roll. My hubs has never won a game against me. I think kicking your hubby’s butt occasionally is good for your marriage.
I hope you enjoy Appetizer Week. Make sure you scroll down to enter the amazing giveaway, it’s sponsored by OXO. You can find lots of photos of OXO products being used to make this grilled guacamole. I just happen to have a house full of them. I love them and use them daily. Also be sure to check out all the other great appetizer dishes all my bloggy buddies cooked up. And last, but not least, remember to come back every day this week for amazing appetizers and prizes. We are going to help you through the best game day party on the block!
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ sweet onion, minced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, for pan
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped finely, no juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tomato, if you don't have ripe use 1 or 2 san marzano tomatoes, chopped, no juice
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat your grill to a medium high heat.
- Prep you avocados by cutting them in half and removing the pits. Brush generously with olive oil.
- Grab a grill safe pan, I have a cast iron pan I use for my grill only. Pop the butter in the pan. Toss your onions and shallots inside.
- Carefully bring your pan of onions and shallots, and also your oil brushed avocados to the hot grill.
- Place the pan on first. Allow to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes. You want them to soften and start to brown.
- Now pop you avocados on the grill cut side down. Leave them there for about 1 to 2 minutes. You want them to char just a bit.
- Carefully remove your hot pan and your avocados off the grill. Turn your grill off.
- Take your avocado tool and carefully scrape out the inside. Discard the outside.
- Mash the avocado gently with a fork.
- If your onions and shallots have excess oil you can drain them. If not you can transfer them to the bowl with mashed avocados.
- Toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix gently.
- Serve immediately if possible. If not serving immediately you should keep the tomato out till you are ready to serve, cover with plastic wrap, making sure the plastic is pressed right against the guacamole. Guacamole discolours quickly if not wrapped properly.
- Serve with a big old game day smile!
Visit all the other Appetizer Week participants for more Football Munching Temptations:
- Pizza Pull Apart Bread by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Grilled Guacamole by Kiss My Smoke
- Crab Layer Dip by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Easy Individual Pizzas by Call Me Pmc
- Chocolate Malta Wings by Food Done Light
- Mom’s Famous Chicken Ball by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Cheddar Bacon Dip by Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Tamari Roasted Chickpeas by Je suis alimentageuse
- Spinach Artichoke Dip by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Wing Dip by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Microwave BBQ Meatballs by From Gate to Plate
- Pulled Pork Sliders by The NY Melrose Family
- Cheese Bean Dip by Wonky Wonderful
- Chipotle Cheese Dip by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Roasted Vegetables and Romesco Crostini by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Buffalo Ranch Cheese Ball by What’s Cooking, Love?
- Buffalo Butternut Hummus by Farm Fresh Feasts
- Mini Maryland Crabcakes by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Sesame Pecan Chicken Wings by Makobi Scribe
- Pina Colada Cheese Ball by Home Cooking Memories
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsaby Clarks Condensed
- Sweetly Spicy Southern Meatballs by Cooking In Stilettos
- Butternut Squash, Pomegranate & Goat Cheese Crostini by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Tex-Mex Chicken Salad Bites by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Caesar Mini Muffins by Food Lust People Love
- Four Cheese Garlic Flat Bread by Try Anything Once Culinary
Our sponsor for Day 1 of Appetizer Week is OXO. We are so happy they joined us today. OXO is dedicated to providing innovative consumer products that make everyday living easier. Their tools are designed with everyone in mind, they are not only efficient but they are also comfortable to use. As food bloggers we spend a ton of time in the kitchen. We need our tools to not only stand the test of time, but to be as user-friendly as possible. OXO tools meet all those requirements.
Today’s OXO Prize Pack valued at over $256 includes:
- 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
- 4 Piece Mini Measuring Beaker Set
- Citrus Juicer
- Hand-Held Mandoline Slicer
- 2 Cup Angled Measuring Cup
- 6 Piece Measuring Cup Set in Black
- 6 Piece Measuring Spoon Set in Black
- 3 Piece Large Bowl and Colander Set in Red
- Garlic Press
- Silicone Pastry Brush
- Utility Cutting Board in Red
- Pop Container Big Square in 4.0 Quart Size
- Pop Scoop
- Oil Stopper/Pourer
- Pastry Scraper/Chopper
- Coarse Hand-Held Grater
- Salt and Pepper Grinder Set
- 12 inch Silicone Tongs
***Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. Winner must be 18 years of age or older. No substitutions or cash value will be given***
***Disclaimer: This giveaway is being provided by OXO. #AppetizerWeek bloggers have not received product or been compensated as a part of this giveaway. I happen to love their products and have some I’ve purchased and some I’ve received at food conferences. I’m a huge OXO fan so it was super easy for me to shoot photos with their products because my house is full of them.***
Thanks again to OXO for sponsoring the giveaway today. Make sure you enter and check back every day this week for more exciting Appetizer Week recipes and giveaways.
Now be confident and get your grill on!