Simple, easy, and no fuss way to make potatoes on the grill. Wrap them up in tinfoil for an easy way to have a great side dish without a ton of work or mess. Add some dressing or flavoured oils to amp up the flavour.
Some days I love easy peasy recipes. I’m a busy gal. With two blogs, my family, and enough pets to fill a zoo I need easy cooking days from time to time. This was one of those days.
I am a tinfoil nut. I use it for lots of things, including grilling. If I’m being completely honest I also use it like most people use plastic wrap. Not that I’d use plastic wrap on a grill. But just putting it out there how much I dislike plastic wrap. Anyhow, moving on, I love tinfoil so much and cook with it often. I keep lots on hand during grilling season, which around here seems to be all the time.
If you use this method you need full disclosure. I find so many recipes for tinfoil packages where they don’t allow enough time to cook them. Unless you boil them ahead of time they are going to take some time to cook. So make sure you know this.
What’s cool about them is you can either use your lower grill grates which are right above your burners or if you have a higher level, or top rack like I do on mine you can shove these up there for a slower cook with less char. So… quick and easy on the bottom, or low and slow on the top. Both methods work beautifully.
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
Grilled Potatoes: How to Cook Potatoes in Tinfoil Packages
- 1 to 2 pounds of baby potatoes cut in half in they are large
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup of Roasted Red Pepper Salad Dressing
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- Now lay tinfoil on the counter. Here's my trick so things leak less. Do two long pieces in one direction, (overlap them slightly) then two long pieces the other way, so they make a t shape or a cross if you will. Use enough to fold over and then roll the ends multiple times for a good seal. Now spray the tinfoil generously with non stick spray. This will help a lot.
- Add your potatoes in the middle, you can stack them if you like, but the more you pop in the longer it takes to cook.
- Add the onions.
- Add hard butter, no need to soften it.
- Add the salad dressing.
- Add a nice drizzle of olive oil. I like the flavour it adds, having both butter and a hit of olive oil gives it a rich flavour in my opinion.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Now take the first two sides and fold them up, I roll the ends so nothing leaks. (I will make a video for this once I can find time to figure out how to edit video, soon I hope)
- Now take the second two sides and fold them over, and roll the ends tight.
- It should now resemble a tight little tinfoil box.
- Place that on the grill over medium heat. If using lower rack (rack directly over the heat) cook for 15 to 20 minutes on each side. Be incredibly careful turning it because if you pierce the tinfoil it will leak liquid and cause flare ups. I use a really large, wide spatula when it comes to flipping tinfoil packs.
- If you use the top rack, (I have one that sits well above the bottom, and use it for things I want to cook slower, or for thin pieces of meat) you need to cook them for about 25 to 30 minutes on each side.
- Remove carefully. Take inside. Pierce the tinfoil and let the steam escape before opening. Very important.
- Now you can scoop them out into a bowl.
- Serve with a big old I love grilled potatoes smile!
Make sure you cut the potatoes so they are as uniform in size as possible. This helps them cook evenly. That way you won’t bite into one that isn’t cooked through. Also the bigger the pieces the longer they will take to cook. And the more you pack into one tinfoil package the longer it will take to cook. Multiples layers of potatoes just take longer to cook through.
Hope you enjoyed today’s tip!
What’s your favourite add in for potatoes?
Mine is usually shallots, onion and garlic. If I have all three on hand I’ll actually use all three of them. It’s the flavour trifecta in my world. Cannot get enough of it. These would also be good with Candied Bacon Compound Butter tossed in them.
Thank you for spending some time with me today!
Now go fire up that grill and get some potatoes rocking. Let me know what you think of these. Remember to adjust cooking time depending on how big your package is. Words to live by.
Now be confident and get your grill on!