This pesto recipe is bursting with flavour. It uses fire roasted yellow and red peppers. Then it’s blended with fresh basil and great quality olive oil. You must try this one!
You gotta love a great pesto. This one packs some serious flavour. I fire roasted some yellow and red peppers on the grill. Then I mixed them up with onions, fresh basil and some amazing olive oil. That’s the secret to great pesto. Use great quality olive oil. Makes all the difference in the world.
You can learn how to fire roast peppers on my post How To Tuesday: How to Fire Roast Bell Peppers. It’s so easy to do and you will love the flavour of fresh over jarred. Not that I’m opposed to jarred peppers, but not in summer.
I use my food processor to make pesto. I think it helps to ensure perfect pesto every time. I can watch it mix and I can gradually add more olive oil until the consistency is perfect.
I use this pesto over top of tons of other recipes. You can check out my Grilled Smoked Chicken Sandwich Recipe. I slather this fire roasted yellow and red pepper pesto all over that sucker. It’s freaking amazing.
A good pesto recipe will take you far in life. Trust me. It’s the key to happiness. Or at the least the key to happy houseguests.
Places to stalk Kiss my Smoke!
Fire Roasted Yellow and Red Pepper Pesto
- 3 yellow bell peppers fire roasted
- 3 red bell peppers fire roasted
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 vidalia onion
- 15 to 20 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the fire roasted yellow and red peppers, garlic, onion, basil, salt and white pepper in a food processor. Add a little bit of oil and start to pulse the ingredients. Continue to pulse and mix more oil until it's smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover, and keep in the fridge until needed.
- Great over sandwiches, pasta or even mixed in cold pasta salads.
- Serve with a big old fire roasted pepper loving smile!
You can mix this old school style if you like but I have to admit I make mine in my food processor almost every time. It’s easy, you can control the ingredients really well and they clean up really well.
I use mine so much I’ve gone through about 10 in my lifetime. Hubs actually just broke the most recent one. I’m in the market for a new one again.
Now just to tease you a little bit, the photo below shows the sandwich that I spread this latest batch of Yellow and Red Pepper Pesto over top of.
It’s okay, I cried tears of joy when I ate it so I totally understand your tears of joy over seeing it. Take a moment. Breathe it all in.
Now be confident and get your grill on!