This is one serious recipe to get your friends dunking for the big game. This bad boy has bacon, jalapeño peppers, shallots, onions, peppers, and tons of cheese. It's perfect for dipping, and it's amazing spooned over mini sandwiches or meatballs!
- 2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1/4 pound bacon cut into small chunks
- 2 fresh green jalapeno peppers
- 3 shallots diced or thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 red pepper diced or thinly sliced
- 1/2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce diced super finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil I used garlic oil
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup pizza mozzarella grated
Preheat your grill to about 350 to 450 degrees F.
Place your grilling stone on the grill, over direct heat.
Slap some butter on the stone.
Pop the bacon on first and allow to cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
In a large bowl mix the jalapeno peppers, shallots, onion, red pepper, chipotle, salt and pepper. Combine well.
Toss that onion mixture on the stone. Use tongs to move it around.
Add the oil and then toss the cheese on top.
Let the cheese bubble and melt for about 4 to 6 minutes. I like mine with crispy bits but you can remove yours sooner.
You can transfer to a bowl for dipping or pour over other appetizers.
Enjoy with a big old cheesy smile.
Recipe is slightly adapted from Ted Reader's Cheesy Goodness which can be found in his cookbook Gastro Grilling. It's my favourite grilling cookbook in the entire world.